Identity Theft Checklist

What to do if You Have Become a Victim of Identity Theft
identity theft checklist

The following checklist is meant to help guide you through the necessary steps for reporting and recovering from identity theft and identity fraud. It is critical that you document the correspondence and keep a detailed record of your efforts. Click here for additional resources.

1) Contact Creditors (Banks/financial institutions, credit card companies, etc.)

Carefully review your accounts and transaction activity for any fraudulent charges and report them immediately. Any account that you believe may have been tampered with should be closed. Any new accounts should be given new account numbers and new passwords/PINS.

  • Monitor postal mail for new cards you have requested. If you have not received them in a timely manner contact the appropriate creditor to follow-up.

 2) Credit Reports

  • Contact one of the three major credit bureaus and request that they place a fraud alert on your credit. The credit bureaus will then contact the other two major credit bureaus to place the alert with them as well. This will help prevent any additional new accounts from being opened in your name.
  • Once the fraud alert has been confirmed, you should request a copy of your credit report from each bureau. Review the reports carefully for any new accounts or inquires that you have not requested. If you find fraudulent activity you may request that it be removed by following the necessary steps noted by each bureau.

3) Contact your local police department

To file an identity theft report; or in some cases a miscellaneous incident report. If the local police are reluctant you may try your state police department.

  • Muskingum County Sheriff- (740) 452-3637
  • Morgan County Sheriff- (740) 962-4044
  • Perry County Sheriff- (740) 342-4123

4) File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

Complaints may be filed online at or by calling 1-877-ID-THEFT.

5) Depending on your circumstances

It may be necessary to contact the Social Security Administration and Department of Motor Vehicles.